Ambien is a sedative sometimes it is referred as hypnotics but it is not a benzodiazepine drug like many would think it is. It has relaxing traits that relax the brain and put you into the sleep cycle. It regulates unbalanced chemicals in the brain, which is the obvious reason for the sleeping problem, helps to attain quality sleep.
Proper consultation with your doctor is advisable before taking this medication.
What is Ambien?
Ambien is derivative of zolpidem. In 1992, it was approved as the sleeping aid and from 2007 it has been largely available as the generic medication in the United States. Now in this modern medical world, many drug manufacturing firm has started producing Ambien and it is been dispensing by several healthcare companies. In the US, Sanofi-Aventis is a manufacturing company that produces this medication. In other parts of the world, the manufacturer may vary.
Ambien is the NO.1 sleeping aid and most prescribed medication in the US. For below disorders and conditions, doctors will suggest taking Ambien.
- Disorders like daytime sleepiness, awakeness at night
- Different levels of insomnia- mild, short-term and chronic insomnia disorder.
- Psychological, neurological and other medical disorders which are the symptoms of sleeping disorders
- Dyssomnias-Trouble in getting and staying asleep
- Parasomnias –Disturbance during normal REM cycle
- Catathrenia – Rapid eye movement along with breath holding problem
- Breathing problem associated with discontinuous sleep – Central and Obstructive sleep apnea,
- It also used to stop snoring.
In the United States, this medication is available in tablet form in capsule shape (elliptical shape) in the concentration of 5mg and 10mg and comes in the color of white and blue.
Imprint on the pill will tell you the drug name and its dosage strength along with identifier code. For Ambien 5mg the code is 5401 and for 10mg Ambien 5421 is the code.
It is also available in Controlled release form as Ambien CR in the concentration of 6.25mg and 12.gmg in orange and blue color respectively. In other countries, Ambien will be sold exactly similar to the US.
Approach your doctor before deciding to take this drug. Your physician would suggest you with the right dosage level that suits you. By following the procedures as per the doctor’s advice would literally help you to out of side effects or drug abuse.