Ambien is a hypnotic prescription-only sleeping aid used for the treatment of the sleeping disorder such as insomnia, narcolepsy and much more. However, the drug is popular as well as effective, and equally holds the side effects likeother drugs. Ambien would cause adverse symptoms to the patient’s during the treatment hence it is important to aware of it in order prevent your health from danger.
In general, it caused by certain major factors: misuse of the drug, abuse, dependence or addiction and some more reasons. Thereof, take Ambien as advised as by your medical practitioner in order to avoid it.
The active compound of the sleeping aid is Ambien CR; it acts on the brain and promotes the GABA receptors in the central nervous system. As a result, it makes a person fall asleep. The drug directly acts in the brain so the chances of the adverse effects are high and it has classified into two major types – one is common and another one is serious side effects.
Common side effects
There are some general side effects associated with this medicine, but most likely it would occur during the first time use of Ambien. It is very mild and it may occur and leave at any time but would not long for more than a day hence no need to stress over it. However, some time it will change as a serious issue that time you have to inform to your doctor when you notice anything strange in your health condition.
The most often Ambien side effects are
- A headache
- Lightheadedness – the feeling of faint
- Stuffy nose – common cold, sinus issues, allergic reaction due to the presence of secretions and mucus in the nasal.
- Dry mouth – this is occurred because of the inadequate work of the salivary glands
- Pain in muscle and chest
The serious Ambien side effects are
- Allergic reaction – this includes swelling of tongue and trouble in breathing
- Symptoms of depression – self-damaging or thoughts of suicide, lack of attraction, feeling worthlessness, lack of stamina or energy, difficulties in listening skill, rapid gain in weight, or loss
- Abnormal behaviors – thinking things which are not real, agitation, and hallucinations (hearing things which do not exist)
- Activities during asleep – driving, concern about food, having sex, and phone conversation.
- Trouble breathing – tiredness, decreased oxygen in the blood, slowed or shallow breathing.
- Amnesia or memory loss problems
The above side effects are fewer and there may be more which is not listed. So kindly approach your doctor if you have experienced any of the above side effects or any other health conditions.
How to prevent Ambien side effects
In general, these are occurred because of the misuse of Ambien in the form of abuse, addiction, dependence, and tolerance hence follow your doctor advice during the treatment. Taking higher or multiple dosages can also cause these so that strictly follow the exact dose which is mentioned in your prescription and never increase or decrease it without doctor guidance. Apart from these, drug interactions also lead you towards side effects so that be aware of the other medications which can interact with Ambien.