Ambien is classified under the category of drug called sedative-hypnotics. This medication is used in adults to treat sleep disorder (Insomnia). It enhances the brain chemicals and produces the calming effect. There are several precaution methods to be noted before using this medication. The patient should be cautious about the warnings and safety measures to prevent the risk and side effects associated with this drug.
Before getting into the Ambien precautions, it is suggestible to get doctor’s advice before taking a course of treatment. Let us see the Precautions and Warnings of Ambien:
What are the warnings and safety measures to know before taking Ambien?
- Usually, Ambien is prescribed in short-term. Long-terms usage of this drug without a proper prescription can lead to abuse overdose the medication. It is provided to the patients above 18 years of age.
- The dosage prescribed to men and women varies depending on various factors. This because the action is lower in women.
- Ambien has a risk of drug abuse. It is advisable to follow as per your prescription label. Increased dosage of it can lead to a sedative effect and lead to a physical dependence towards it.
- It is considered to be one of the habit-forming drugs; Misuse of Ambien can lead to serious side effects to the abusers. Do not share suggest this medication to anyone unless it is prescribed for them to take.
- Ambien can reduce your thinking capabilities. It is better to avoid driving and stop the dangerous and activities that require alertness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol, if you take the sleep medication.
- The Patient who are allergic to Zolpidem, avoid taking this medication. This medication causes a severe allergic reaction in some patients. You should avoid this drug if you have the signs of allergic reaction like swelling of face, body, throat, and tongue.
Inform your doctor, if you have the following health conditions includes:
- Lung, kidney and liver disease.
- Breathing problem.
- Mental disorder.
- Addiction towards drugs and alcohol.
- Ambien will harm the baby in the womb and newborn baby. If this pill is taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Know about the possible drug interaction with Ambien. This prevents the interaction of drugs that increase the risk of side effects of the medication. It mainly interacts with Sodium Oxybate.
- Tell your physician, about the list of medicines that you are taking, because it causes the interaction with some type of drugs including pain or cough relievers, other sleep or anxiety medication and muscle relaxants.
- Ambien pill should be swallowed via mouth as a whole. Never crush, break or chew the tablet.
- Ambien medication is stored in a proper room temperature away from the heat and moisture.
You should also inform your medical advisor about the medications that you’re currently taking. As therefore, many medications can able to interact with this drug and cause for the side effects, it is better to mention all medicine that you take.